The “Apple” Body Shape is the Most Common to my Readers.
If we are consulting together I will measure and guide you through all the tips below, but in this moment, a good place to start of what this so common body shape called apple is this visual with video measuring tutorial from Nordstrom. For this article, I am going to assume you know you are an apple shape, and just want to know want to know what to do about it.
Create a Waist using Distraction:
- Highlight other areas on top. Wear tops showing some skin on your chest (tastefully of course). Wear necklaces of interest.
- Highlight other areas on the bottom. Wear jeans with embroidery on the bottom, or cool, colored shoes.
- Keep your waist area neutral. Avoid prominent horizontal lines created by a large at-waist belt, or a waist level stark color change such as a white blouse tucked into black pants.
- Provide proportion and balance on the bottom half by wearing straight cut trousers and boot cut jeans. Add a chunky boot or sandal.
- Provide proportion and balance on the top half by wearing a larger Dolman sleeve, or a bare shoulder of interest, or a little ruffle on top.
- Elongate with a monochromatic look – same color top and bottom
- Create vertical lines by wearing a long (below the hip) open front (not buttoned) cardigan or jacket.
Create a Waist using Definition:
- Peplum tops and jackets are wonderful for defining a waist that isn’t there
- Empire waist blouses and dresses are so good at choosing the slimmest part of your abdomen and draping gracefully from there.
- A wrap dress often provides a V neck and a slimming silhouette.
My Review of the Nordstrom Trunk Club How to Dress an Apple article:
(Another GREAT reason to check out my “CRUSH Better Box Shopping” Membership Program, but I digress) 🙂
In the Nordstrom link above – love them BTW, just don’t agree with their advice on this subject – provides this image of a “well-dressed Apple woman”. I think this pretty girl looks like a giant block in this outfit.
I disagree with round toed shoes, the black on white is way too stark, the pants are GI-normous and the V in the front of her black trousers points to her tummy saying HI, Look at ME!
What I like is the three quarter length sleeve, the jacket is open in the front, the V neck of the white shirt. And that’s about it….
I also have opinions on many of the other visuals provided in their article, but we’ll have to get together to share all that.
If you want a little hand-holding here – Lord knows I am an Apple also, and I have struggled with my own style confidence having lost my waist line – so if you are ready, I am here for you in my heart and in ability.
Ann Lindsay is Suited for Love and Style of Success
I work to make you look effortlessly confident.
Image Consulting — Personal Styling
Concierge Shopping — J.Hilburn Menswear Stylist
I bring confidence, organization and efficiency to your life.